Transylvania Countryside Escape
Disconnect from the noise of the city and enjoy the tranquility of an authentic Transylvanian village. Join this Transylvanian countryside escape and, along with your local guide, attend exciting daily activities, from biking through the wilderness of the surrounding hills to soap-making workshops, cart rides, visits to the sheepfold, and many others. Taste regional cuisine and the best Romanian wines. Discover a Saxon rural community with its traditions and folklore.
Upon landing at Sibiu International Airport, you will be greeted by your local guide. From here, depending on your arrival time, you can start with a walking tour of the beautiful city of Sibiu, European Cultural Capital in 2007, or you can be driven directly to the Saxon village, in the heart of Transylvania. Driving time is about 1h.
After you make yourself comfortable at the guesthouse, you will be presented the schedule for the following six days, while enjoying homemade dinner and some local wine.
It will be a countryside escape, so plenty of time for reading, story-telling and laughing. Please note though that mobile coverage will not be very strong in the area, you will have a good WI-FI connection at the guesthouse.
The morning will be about getting to know the beautiful village of Alma Vii, with its recently restored fortified Evangelical church.
The village was for the first time mentioned in a Latin document in 1293, but it has probably existed since the beginning of the 13th century when the first Saxon families were colonized in Southern Transylvania. The imposing fortified church guards the village against a side-hill since mid of the 14th century.
In the second part of the day, we will visit a local artisan where we will attend a felt workshop. Wool is a traditional material in Transylvania and locals became experts in using it for crocheting beautiful sweaters and other pieces of cloth.
Traditional dinner is included at the guesthouse.
Today we learn about the history of Transylvania by visiting some of its most beautiful places.
The first stop will be in Biertan, home of the largest rural fortification in Transylvania. The village was founded in 1283 and is dominated by Saint Mary’s citadel and church, built-in late-Gothic style between 1500-1525. This hilltop medieval construction, surrounded by three fortified walls, has been named a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO Foundation. Biertan was an important ecclesiastical and commercial center – in 1572 it was named the Chair of the Lutheran Bishop, maintaining that role for almost three centuries.
Second on our list will be the impressive town of Sighisoara, Europe’s last remaining inhabited medieval citadel and UNESCO world heritage site. You will be amazed by the charm of this place once you stroll through its narrow cobbled streets, admiring its colorful 15th-century lustrous merchant houses, now harboring cafes, hotels, and craft shops.
We will enjoy dinner in one of the restaurants inside the citadel and then we drive back towards our village (45 min. driving).
Biking day! Don't be scared, but be prepared for some effort today. Together with your local guide, you will first choose the route depending on your physical condition. After, you start exploring the wilderness of the Transylvanian hills, breathing fresh air, and listening to birds' songs.
Lunch will be served as a picnic in a romantic meadow, right in the middle of the forest.
After a long day, take some rest at the guesthouse and prepare for a delicious well-deserved dinner.
Another fascinating day awaits us. After breakfast, we do a short drive to the small city of Medias, where we will take a tour of a small local terracotta factory, where artisans are continuing making stoves and fireplaces for more than 100 years.
In the second part of the day, we will visit Alba-Iulia, probably the best-preserved Vauban-style fortress in Europe. The city has a great significance for Romanian people, being at the same time settlement of an important Roman legion - XIII Gemina, a medieval fortress and the City of the Great Union, which was signed here in 1918. After a walking tour of the city and a lunch in a medieval restaurant, we will return to our guesthouse.
This day will be about local traditions in the rural area of Transylvania.
In the morning we will learn how soap is made here with essential oil, herbs, and flowers.
The afternoon will take us for a cart ride to the sheepfold, where you will have the chance to see how shepherds are preparing the cheese and even get to taste it. Sheep farming has remained an important activity for the locals in Alma Vii.
Since this will be our last evening at the guesthouse, we will enjoy a special farewell dinner.
Depending on your departure time, you can still enjoy some tranquility before your flight, remembering all the long-last memories you will take with you from the picturesque land of Transylvania.
Drop off at the airport will be provided.
- One week at a newly restored Saxon house, in the heart of Transylvania
- Daily activities, workshops, and visits to the nearby towns
- Sighisoara, one of the best-preserved inhabited citadels in Europe
- Sibiu, Europe's Cultural Capital in 2007
- Alba Iulia, the largest Vauban citadel in Romania, and place of the Great Union (1918)
- Small group (max. 6 persons)
- This tour involves good physical condition and requires a moderate amount of walking, hiking, and biking
- Transportation by comfortable minivan
- Certified English-speaker guide throughout the program
- Airport pick-up, drop off
- accommodation in a double room, in a newly-restored Saxon house, in rural Transylvania
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Tasting of local wines
- Daily activities and workshops (hiking, cart-riding, etc)
- Excursions to Sighisoara, Medias, Sibiu and Alba Iulia
- Entrance fees
- Flights to Sibiu International Airport
- Photo/video taxes
- Extra services
- Available dates: 08-14.May.2023 ( 7days) or 25.Sept-01.Oct.2023 ( 7days)
- For your flexibility, the tour is also available as a PRIVATE TOUR. Please contact us for more details.
- The price below is available for groups of a minimum 6 persons
- Children below 6 years old receive a 50% discount
- Booking this tour requires full prepayment at the moment of booking
- Flexible cancellation policy
- Below special price for bookings made until 31.March.2023