One-day Tour to Bulgaria
Discover a whole new country by booking your private day tour to Bulgaria! Admire its best sights while traveling in a comfortable premium car/minivan. Find out more about Bulgarian history and its medieval heritage. Visit Basarabov stone-carved monastery, Tsaravets Fortress - the medieval capital of Bulgaria, the old town Veliko Tarnovo and the picturesque village of Arbanasi
Your dedicated private guide will pick you up from your hotel in Bucharest. Before departing, make sure you have your Passport with you for the border check!
Upon entering Bulgaria, you will cross the Friendship-bridge over the Danube river, the second-longest river in Europe.
1. Basarabov Monastery
Shortly after crossing the border, you will arrive in the small village of Basarabov. The monastery was dug into the rock by the monks during the long and harsh Ottoman occupation. Bucharest has a deep connection with this place, as its protective saint was born and served here as a monk.
2. Veliko Tarnovo
The tour will take you further to Veliko Tarnovo, also known as the "City of The Tsars". In the past was one of the most important cities in the Balkans. Now you will be impressed by its narrow cobbled-stone streets. Here, the craftsmen are working on different souvenirs in their small workshops. The architecture of the houses will remind you of the medieval period.
3. Tsaravets Fortress
Located on a nearby hill, the fortress served as the capital city of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1185 - 1396). As such, in its glorious past, the medieval fortress could be easily compared with Rome or Constantinople. It housed the Royal Palace and the Orthodox Patriarchy - the equivalent of the Vatican for the Catholics. After a three-month siege, the Ottomans captured the city and destroyed it entirely in 1396. In the 1980s, the Cathedral of the Ascension of the Lord has been restored, but due to its modern and very dramatic paintings, it has never been re-consecrated as a church.
4. Arbanasi Village
Continuing your private tour through medieval Bulgaria, you will stop in a village located just 5km outside Veliko Tarnovo. This place has been an exclusive area during the Ottoman occupation. Many rich people and merchants were owning houses and businesses here. The picturesque architecture of the houses and stone fences will impress you.
- Discover a whole new country in just one day
- Learn more about the Orthodox religion during the Ottoman occupation
- Unveil the greatness of the Second Bulgarian Empire
- Take a walking tour of the old city of Veliko Tarnovo
- Visit the picturesque village of Arbanasi
- Private tour
- Transportation by premium-class vehicle/SUV or minivan, 2020 - 2022 models
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel in Bucharest
- Certified English-speaker guide
- Entrance fees
- Other personal expenses (e.g. souvenirs, etc.)
- Medium amount of walking/stairs-climbing is required
- 1 person - 295 euro
- 2 persons - 150 euro/person
- 3 persons - 135 euro/person
- 4-5 persons - 130 euro/person
- 6 persons - 120 euro/person
- 7 persons - 95 euro/person
- Booking this tour requires a 50% non-refundable deposit at the moment of booking
- Payment in cash or Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX) at the beginning of the tour
- The below starting price is applicable for groups of a minimum of 7 persons
From 95 euro per person, all taxes included